meltingPOT

World Cup 2006 – what’s in, what’s out

It’s World Cup time again and 32 countries will compete in one of the world’s most popular sport soccer. Soccer (I use the name Soccer to distinguish from Rugby Football and American “Super Bowl” Football) is very popular in Europe and in Latin America and Asia, except in the Philippines (more on this later) and is a reminder to me that 2 more years will be the next Olympic.

I never really followed this sport. The last time I had the slightest obsession to watch this sport was when I was based in Singapore during the last World Cup. I remember I was starting to get the hang of it when I had to go back to the Philippines for a project. When I arrived in the Philippines there’s nothing there about World Cup. Muy silencioso! Not even a TV coverage, nada! I thought to myself, what’s going on here? In Singapore I was working in the German Centre in Jurong and I remember whenever Germany is playing there is beer and TV in the building’s lobby for everybody to enjoy. Even in shopping centers and in supermarkets, people stop what they were doing and will be looking up on those big-screen TVs airing live World cup games. But in the Philippines, you won’t receive that attention unless it’s a basketball game, of course.

Here in Canada, the spirit and rivalries are brought alive by the wide multi cultural representation in the country. This is very evident by the flags they carry in their cars. I have made a collage of these flags, a picture speaks more clearly than words.

This is also the first time the Worldcup is aired in High Definition format. What a night and day difference. The 6:9 widescreen format allows the camera to view a long kick of the ball without the camera panning. You can see the other players just freeze waiting if the kick results to a goal. Wow, for me there is no going back to 4:3. Also, the 1080i or p resolution allows you to see the grass vividly in living color.

Perfect as it might seem, on the one hand, the 3 Tenors will be missed in this 2006 World Cup - especially by me.

2 Responses to “World Cup 2006 – what’s in, what’s out”

  1. # Blogger Junnie

    William, nice collage of the 32 flags. Toronto has the distinct honor of having its inhabitants become partisan to their home countries, at least for 1 month. We dont have a team compared to the US and Australia. That's why...

    Would you believe that in 1982, The Philippines were Football/Soccer Champions in the World for 12 years and under?  

  2. # Blogger William

    Junnie, The Philippines as Soccer Champions? That's not hard to imagine. Back when I was in High School this was a favorite sport of Semenaristas.

    You are right about the partisans. I wouldn't park my car in between two cars with opposing flags. Baka ako ang matamaan ng inis.  

Post a Comment

Search

"Search this site"

About this Site


meltingPOT is about people, places and events encountered during travel. It's observations on cultural diversity immortalized.

Name: William
Location: Canada


Visit my Other Site: audioFILE


XML


Counters by

Web Counter